Thursday, May 21, 2009

Rocks & Snails & Puppy Dog Tails

Do you remember that time in your baby's development when they're teething and want to nurse but can't seem to remember how. Chomp. Chomp. It's been two days and it still hurts every time he nurses. I was ready to magically wean him right then and there, but am trying to remember that he was just hurting and it was an accident. Ouch! Oh my goodness, ouch!!

Okay - moving on, not that I couldn't go on for several more paragraphs about the degree of unhappiness that brought me, but I doubt in the interest level of such stories.

This week I took Kitt (yeah, that's a good nic-name for her), my two and half year old, to the animal shelter to get her a puppy fix, because oh my goodness does that girl go crazy every time she thinks she heard a dog bark a mile away. She was ecstatic! I am not particularly an 'animal' person, I'm not an animal hater, just one of those people that isn't really sure what to do with a smelly hairy thing panting in my face begging for attention. But, I have to say, I fell in love a little with a little black schnauzer with white toes and white spots on his belly. Darling! If he's still there on Saturday we're going to take him in to 'foster' care, which is in pet speak a trial run on whether you want them or not.

I'm not completely crazy - I'm not just picking out a puppy because it stole my heart and so diving in headfirst based on my emotional impulse stemming from 'well aren't you the cutest thing ever?!'. I mean, I don't think that's it at least, or he'd be here right now... right? My husband IS a dog person and in the almost 5 years of marriage has lamented regularly that he misses having one around.

For you parents who are pet owners, what's your experience with them? I have a 2 1/2 year old and a 9 month old. Am I crazy for considering it? I have to add that my 9 month old, lets call him Mac, is a fearless little thing that is already turning into an adrenaline junkie (cruising, crawling on top of boxes, throwing himself at things - seriously, nine months? I had so much more time with Kitt). I'd love your thoughts. I'm really trying to convince myself that this is not an emotional decision based on an irrelevant cuteness factor.

Dang, I'm really trying hard.

Thoughts?

7 comments:

DairyQueen said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog! I am hoping to do more with my younger daughter next year. I feel like I've been neglecting her for the older girl :)

We have two dogs. We got them before the girls were born. One of them we adopted, and were able to know that she had a good history with kids. The other one adopted us, but luckily she's good with the girls too. I, personally, would not get a puppy, but would definitely go adopt an older dog that you can find out is house trained and kid friendly! My girls love our dogs!

Buckeroomama said...

About nursing a teething child... it gets better. I'm still nursing my 25-month old. *Hoping to be able to wean soon!*

Following you from MBC.

Jennifer said...

Well, I have two dogs and my son is 11 months old. Everyone's experience with little children and pets in the same household is different, but we haven't had any problems, God forbid!

We have two dogs, and my son, who loves our dogs, is 11 months old. Our dogs love to lick and sniff him, but they keep their distance, since my son is a fan of hitting and pulling them! ;-) If the doggie is coming to stay for a bit, I don't see the harm in it. You'll find out soon enough how it'll be with another pet in the house. Also, you'll see if his cuteness factor is enough to keep him in your house! LOL!

Good luck!

Stopping by from MBC/Follow Me Club.

Veronica Lee said...

Sorry, it took me a while to find your blog and follow you 'cos your url link does not show on your profile.

Veronica Lee said...

Your link shows when I click on your username in the blogger comment thingy but it doesn't show on on the follow me button. It's best to get that problem solved 'cos bloggers can't follow you back. I searched for you in mombloggersclub - that's how I found you !!

Veronica Lee said...

I noticed that this seems to be the problem with new blogs. Someone (I'm so sorry, I can't remember who) asked me the same question several month ago. Maybe, you could post this question in your blog. I'm sure there will be some pro-bloggers out there who could help. I'm also fumbling along!!

Deb said...

I had a 2 year old, an eight month old and adopted a puppy. It actually worked because we were home so much of the time anyway. It gave us a good opportunity to bond with our new puppy and keep a watchful eye on her.

That same puppy is 10 now. She's delightful, loves kids and is the most gentle creature I know. I think she adds so much to our family!

Mostly, I think a new pet needs to have the right personality to be around young children. Your shelter should be able to help you with that. Good luck, hope she's there today!